View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 AM
TE Expert

Smile To tatadalou: Filters

Merci chere Delphine

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question, I know you asked me previously, but thought I had answered.

Filters. Well.

If you ask Andre (Inasiajones) he would say (quite rightly) not to waste your money on a filter. I think this is because of two reasons. The first is that he's a superb photographer and can get the light right. The second is that he often will take two exposures (one for the sky and one for the foreground) and merge them seamlessly in post-production. It works for him. His images are flawless and breath-taking.

But I'm hopeless with post-production. So I do use filters, mostly grey-graduated ones. The negative to this is that if you have objects that break up the horizon (like headlands and land masses) they will be also gradated in light unfortunately, unless you use the filter at an angle.

I have used cheaper filters, but years ago invested in a set of 3 Lee soft-edged, grey-graduated filters, of varying strengths. Together with the ring and holder. They were expensive but are well worth it. I've dropped them in the sea, on rocks, left them in my pockets with my keys - and they've emerged unscathed and still do a good job. Maybe if you're not sure, try buying a cheaper version, like a Cokin, first. If you like it, try Lee or B&W.

In this photo, I don't think I was using a filter (although definitely used it on the other photo of the boatshed I uploaded). In my previous photo of the rockpool at Maroubra, I was definitely using a filter, probably a 0.6.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

Bonsoir
Lisa