Forums


Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
jugnutoor's Avatar
jugnutoor jugnutoor is offline
TE Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Exclamation Photo Inactivated

hello admins & moderators,

I am looking for advise here. Today a photo uploaded by me was inactivated stating reasoning : Elaborate frame.

I really don't understand how it violated the terms

Image

the terms about framing are below along with i have explained how my shot does not violate.

i. Copyright notices and (straight-edged, plain) frames
NB: Copyright/ Watermark information must be discrete and may contain your name, but no graphics are allowed except for the copyright symbol produced by the keyboard (Alt+0169)
-----------> Only my name is there no symbol used.

- Frames must be plain and straight edged (simple drop shadow is allowed)
-----------> Only plain frame with simple shadow.
- Cannot contain gradients, textures, blurring or beveling, but may contain the photo's title and/or the member's name. Advertising of commercial websites is not permitted.
-----------> Does not contain any of the above except my name.

Please guide me how it violates the terms.

regards
Jugnu Toor
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Porteplume's Avatar
Porteplume Porteplume is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tholen - Holland
Posts: 6,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugnutoor View Post
- Frames must be plain and straight edged (simple drop shadow is allowed)
-----------> Only plain frame with simple shadow.
- Cannot contain gradients, textures, blurring or beveling, but may contain the photo's title and/or the member's name. Advertising of commercial websites is not permitted.
Hi Jugnu,

It has been removed because it breaks this item of the TOS. "Cannot contain gradients, textures, blurring or beveling,"

The only permissible treatment is drop shadow and the inner part of the frame doesn't comply with that requirement.

* * * From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shadow:
In computer graphics, a drop shadow is a visual effect consisting of drawing that looks like the shadow of an object, giving the impression that the object is raised above the objects behind it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
jugnutoor's Avatar
jugnutoor jugnutoor is offline
TE Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 9
Default Photo Inactivated :Please recheck

Hi Porteplume,

Thanks for the reply, but the shot does not contain any of those, gradients, textures, blurring or beveling.

All that is done is, put a black border around the image with a shadow, then put a plain white border around it, which might have turned pale because of white balance job done after applying he borders, and lastly a thin black border. There is nothing from any of the above four.

Please do a recheck on the image for the above mentioned jobs.

regards
Jugnu Toor
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM
macondo's Avatar
macondo macondo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugnutoor View Post
All that is done is, put a black border around the image with a shadow, then put a plain white border around it, which might have turned pale because of white balance job done after applying he borders, and lastly a thin black border.
I've also had another look at your frame, and it is NOT a drop shadow. Your shadow is consistent on all four sides of the image, as you admit above when you say 'around it'. A drop shadow, in my view, must look somewhat natural, and in nature a shadow could only be cast on two adjacent sides. I would suggest that you create a proper drop shadow and repost the photo.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 AM
ktanska's Avatar
ktanska ktanska is offline
TE Expert
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,258
Default Drop shadow

Well,
Drop shadow could appear on all sides of object, if the light source was closer to the object than the viewpoint. Then of course the light source would be in sight too.
Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by macondo View Post
I've also had another look at your frame, and it is NOT a drop shadow. Your shadow is consistent on all four sides of the image, as you admit above when you say 'around it'. A drop shadow, in my view, must look somewhat natural, and in nature a shadow could only be cast on two adjacent sides. I would suggest that you create a proper drop shadow and repost the photo.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 AM
macondo's Avatar
macondo macondo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanska View Post
Well,
Drop shadow could appear on all sides of object, if the light source was closer to the object than the viewpoint. Then of course the light source would be in sight too.
Kari
Thanks, Kari! Yes, that may be technically possible. But your response actually explains why the blur on all four sides can't be considered a real 'drop shadow': it doesn't mimic reality when it comes to viewing a photo on display. In a real exhibition the light source must avoid casting the viewer's shadow on to the photo.

A drop shadow needs to resemble a shadow in order to create a kind of 3D effect: the illusion that the photo is in suspension above another surface.
I think for the purpose of 'mounting' or 'suspending' photographs on the computer screen, this is achieved by placing the 'shadow' slightly to one side and above or below the photo. Above the photo, of course, would look slightly absurd, as a light source is rarely positioned below the photo being displayed. Actually, I can't recall ever seeing a drop shadow on the left side of a photo!

The following links might help to explain our interpretation of what the TOS call a 'simple drop shadow':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shadow
http://www.dropshadow.net/
http://ftp2.bmtmicro.com/dlc/Drop%20Shadows.pdf

There may well be photos on TE with the same type of blurring on all four sides as Jugnu Toor's. Unfortunately, we cannot possibly detect every single violation of the Terms of Service, but that is not a reason for members to think they may also post such photos. Jugnu is welcome to create a drop shadow and repost the photo.

Regards,
Andrew
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:07 PM.



Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.
explore TREKEARTH