Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2012-11-15 3:50

Hello Brian,

Whoa! What a fabulous array of wonderfully bright and contrasting colours!

The simple "full on" composition has worked very well here and the colours are made all the more vibrant by the bright oblique lighting, especially on that interesting far wall and doorway. And, of course, there is a wonderful play of light and shade from the shadows cast by wrought iron structures outside the building.

On a technical note, I see just a touch of "noise" in the more shaded area of the floor and presume that this picture was probably taken at fairly high ISO, but it's not upsetting in the least.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Being Noisy

Hi John

it will surprise you to know that this image was shot at ISO 200.

The floor of this covered area under the promenade is rough hewn pinky-brownish slabs and I think the sun being so low has perhaps made them appear a bit noisy.

I did up the saturation a little which sometimes makes noise in the darker shaded areas anyway.

Glad you liked it, I was surprised how well it came out as the exposure was really hard to get right, especially with my trusty 20mm W/A lens. I had seen this shot in my mind for months when in Brighton and it was unusual for this little place to be closed, so the full effect of the colourful faade could be captured.

Thanks as always for your comments and interest.

Brian.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Sorry for the accusation....!

Hi Brian,

Sorry about that - it did look suspiciously like noise to me but, of course, at ISO 200 it is most unlikely to be! And that 20mm lens (though really not that terribly wide on a full frame camera) certainly did its job with this picture.

On the subject of wide lenses, I have noted that Silvio sometimes takes pictures with a 14mm lens on his full frame Nikon D700 and, wow, they have incredible perspective. Trouble is that those lenses are also incredibly expensive though, actually, the widest you can get (and still having a "rectilinear" lens) is the Sigma 12 -14mm zoom, a good bit cheaper than the main brands but I'm not sure if they do it in a Sony fitting. I don't know about you, but I've never been keen on the idea of a "fisheye" lens - I could just imagine using it for a day and having tremendous fun with it then putting it back in the box and never using it ever again. A bit of a novelty but not really much use.

Nice to see you posting on the forum again - does that mean that the dreaded virus problem seems to have been resolved? I do hope so.

Oh, and the Japanese guy in the picture wasn't a member of our little group - he was far too dapper and smartly dressed to be one of us! And, of course, Brian, it would be great to meet up with you sometime at one of these meetings - I was a bit apprehensive the first time I went to one (in Cumbria in June, last year) but they really are tremendous fun and all of the people I have met at those meetings have been absolutely wonderful. It's great to meet up with others with a common interest - you really can bounce ideas off each other and discuss your own little secrets that no-one really seems to talk about here - like how you sharpen, how much colour saturation you add, how you get rid of noise and so on - all over a few pints of the local ale. Brilliant!

Actually, I think it has been pretty much decided that I am to arrange a meeting next year in Scotland. Quite where it should be, I'm not sure, so I'll have to give that some thought!

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Wide Angle Lenses

Hi John

taking a chance on the forum posts as my virus checker still hates them and warns me in glowing terms not to go there.

Weird!

I actually got my Sony 20mm lens on E-bay. It retails on Amazon for 469 but some guy had bought it, hated it and had only used it once. It was boxed and only a few months old and I thought a snip at 260. I love it and it is so small and light.

Would love the Sony 16-35mm lens, but at 1,400 a bit too much to pay! Sigma do a 12-24mm lens that looks quite good and half the price of the Sony 16/35.

Expensive hobby this, nowadays.

Can always hire a lens I suppose and try it out.

Brian.