Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 01:17 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: critiques with no rating are useless

".about people who have disabled the point system. Why do these people not able to give a critique?"

I give critiques, but I have disabled the point system. Since TE offers this possibility, I am at ease to use it. If other members want to critique my photos, they may be comfortable to not give me points either, and keep them for others... Or the way they want, of course.

MCV
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM
TE Expert

That's exactly my point, Maria. I think they have the right to give "critique".
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TE Senior Member

Richard,

The point system was created to motivate people, but also not to be taken to serious.

It worked.

Nobody takes the point system serious anymore . . .

'NR' used to be called something like 'not good' . . . but Adam (he's the guy who started this website some eons ago) had to change it . . . people were complaining too much about receiving a negative critique . . .

NR now means 'it needs improvement' . . . deleting that option would be the last comment on TE . . .
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
TE Junior Member

I agree completely with you. Comments should eb uysed to say something not necessarily linked to the technique of a photo.

Unfortunately I often see 'NR' critiques that say noting linked to the technique of the photo.
That's why I think it would be easier to remove the 'NR' critique option, and just use the comment system.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Surely its easier to say 'it needs improvement' by saying that in the critique itself, rather than giving a 'NR' and an unhelpful comment on the photo.

My disagreement is not with the system and rules of TE, but with users who frequently (mistakenly or purposely) use the 'NR' critique as a place to write a comment.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm not arguing with the guidelines of TE. It's just that I have noticed users making 'NR' critiques that do not contain specific information as to why a photo is good or not. There are people on TE who use the 'NR' critique function to make a comment. This point is irrespective of whether that person has the points system disabled or not.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm sorry, but I was not saying that all critiques should be removed. It is the 'no rating' critiques that I think are redundant on TE. The comment option fulfills the same function as the 'NR' critique. TE already has three levels of rated critique, so losing the 'NR' wouldn't affect anything.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
TE Expert

but no comments or critiques do not say what is the problem. Some people may not know why the shot is not well received, silly as that sounds, and no inputs help little.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 AM
TE Senior Member

Default NR

Richard,
your last remark makes it clear to me what you mean.
My point is this; Hardly anybody uses the point system nowadays, they only write critiques with 2 points.
This morning I went to the critique gallery and only after 22 pages I came across some critiques from Faubry (who has the point system switched off). . . 220 critiques, and all had 2 points! . . . after many more pages I found no critique with 'NR' . . . I gave up . . .

More than a year I used the point system as good as possible; . . . about 60% of my critiques had 2 points and the rest ad 1 point, NR . . . or they were comments (5%), also with smiles included (it's possible to give smiles with comments . . . no points however will be given).
Normally about 50% 'returns the favor' . . . this was true with the 60% group . . . with the 40% the reactions were different however . . . some people were happy, others not . . .
but in general; the reactions were more personal.

. . . the reason why? . . . I think is that TE is not a travel or photography site . . . but a social site . . . anything less than a positive critique with two points is not welcome however . . . it's not warm and cuddly :) . . . to find people using TE in a different way is sometimes a shock . . . sometimes a relief.

You're post reminds me of that . . . but I could be wrong . . . and don't get me wrong . . . it's nothing personal . . . but an honest question/observation.
Maybe you get an unfair share of critiques from people who use the NR when they write you . . . I cannot check because my points are off.

Or maybe you're right . . . and people do not know how to use TE . . .