Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great mkamionka 2022-10-04 1:21

Hi Paul,
Very interesting set of scenes along the rails. There is so much going on here. Plenty of colors, people at work, washing, everything.
Usually when locals advice not to go somewhere, this must be justified. In Middlesbrough where I live, I had several advices like that. People who live in this underprivileged area of the UK still see some places as extremely dangerous. Once I asked why I should not go to a particular area, they said: there are cameras at each road crossing and the cameras are in cages...
Same I heard about one beach. As well I went there before knowing the reputation and it seemed lovely. But then locals told me I was really lucky and going there is like asking for trouble.
Again people perceive danger differently. If I have a family to feed I worry what would happen to them if something happens to me. But if someone is single or retired, they may be happy to take the risks. One expression I sometimes hear is "I felt safe there". This is one of the completely empty phrases. What does it even mean?
So I am glad you took the risk, so I can just watch these photos in your gallery,
M

Old 10-04-2022, 05:23 PM
TE Expert

Default To mkamionka: The sense of safety

Thank you Mariusz,

First of all, I don't think I was taking a risk.
Along the way, you still have the opportunity at any time to re-evaluate the situation and, if necessary, to retrace your steps.

Maybe in my hotel they were used to have guests who do things rather quickly under the guidance of a guide while I really like to do things on my own ...
I don't really know what they meant but when I seemed determined they only advised to come back before darkness.
Advice that seems reasonable to me because the street lighting in quite a few places in Hanoi is not that great. But even then I don't think about any kind of crime.

My experience with Vietnamese people is that I've never or never met dishonest locals during my journey.
I actually liked everything in Vietnam except the fact that there were masses of western tourists everywhere, which was a real disappointment.
But the country is certainly very beautiful and interesting. I loved the locals and also the Vietnamese cuisine very much.

Honestly, I don't understand why you consider 'I felt safe there' an empty phrase.
I think you can hear me say that sometimes too.

By that I mean that at some point I was in a place that I or others might, for some unknown reason, assume might not be safe and in the end nothing wrong happened at all. I may even have had very positive experiences there.
Ultimately, you don't know if anyone else has ever had negative experiences there. So that's why I say I did feel safe there.
And everyone else just has to use common sense in every place in the world, whether that place seems strange or familiar.

I know several people here in Belgium who are afraid of something that is unknown. A feeling that you yourself felt safe there, can help them.

I fully agree that when you have responsibility for children, you will exercise extra caution.
But whether singles or retirees are happy to take risks seems like a bold statement to me ...
My retirement hasn't caused me to suddenly take risks I didn't take before.

Actually, I'm not one to take real risks. But I've always loved to have a look in less obvious places.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 10-04-2022, 10:29 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
"I feel safe" is very subjective. When I was taking photos in one of the places in Buenos Aires I felt safe. Later Maria former TE member from BA told me that in the same year a European tourist was murdered in the same spot in a bright daylight because he didn't want to give up his camera. It changed my perception of that place. Usually when you read a guidebook they point out some dangerous places. They refer to crime rate rather than to how people may feel. Once I read about Barcelona that there is a popular scam going on there, if you rent a car there are groups of criminals who know you are coming with a rented car, they puncture your tires in the middle of nowhere and they rob you of everything. I thought it is ridiculous in the western Europe, few days later my wife told me her boss was robbed like that last year. They took from him everything including the passports so they spent holidays trying to get to the embassy and get replacement passports. Then my friend from USA told me she was mugged in Barcelona as well. Nothing happened to me. I felt safe there. But if a guidebook mentions something and then I actually here some real life situations from peopke near me then I start trusting the guidebook warnings more than my feelings about the place. I think it is better to prepare rather then rely on the fact that "my friend was not raped there so it must be safe". Piotr feels safe hiking the highest mountains but I think they are objectively too risky for most average people to climb.
I think locals are particularly well informed about such places. I remember being warned about East Los Angeles, a friend of ours who had to pass through this area had a fake handbag with some fake credit cards so if they take her bag she doesn't loose documents. When I wanted to rent apartment in Lubeck in Germany they told me to avoid Bunte Kuh area. If I didn't know from them I am sure I would feel there in the same way as I felt in the rest of Lubeck.
Just wanted to better explain what I mean
"Better safe than sorry"
Kind regards,
M
Old 10-04-2022, 10:42 PM
TE Expert

After I finished my answer to you, I just read this one:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/german-tou...100115511.html

I am sure some people may feel safe in South Africa.
I heard a lot of terrifying stories from locals...
M
Old 10-04-2022, 11:31 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

South Africa is the country in the world where several people I know were robbed.
Some got into a shooting at a track restaurant. Someone else was stabbed in the chest in Cape Town.
I've never been there myself and don't dream of going there.

But you cannot compare Vietnam and Asia in general with South Africa.

Kind regards,
Paul