Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2004-04-01 8:37

I believe this is Temple street and agree with the interest of the shot, Darren but you should have been BOLDER !
Cut the man's head out and also that unaesthetic dark upper triangle, simply leave the body up to his hand resting on his arm (which is a good feature).

I've bought lots of small tacky gifts in Temple street, mainly Maoism paraphernalia, such as watches showing the great steering leader salute (with an ever moving arm, very funny), original little red books, ...

So how does a wide angle feel Darren? this is my everyday lens...

Old 04-01-2004, 03:44 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Luko: How does wide angle feel?

It feels weird for the most part Luko. I have always carried a 28mm lens, I just use it quite rarely. Long lenses are so much easier, you don't have so many things that can work their way annoyingly into the shot. As you might have noticed, I am also quite a fan of bokeh....hard to really get that with a WA. I understand what you are saying about the unaesthetic triangle, but for some stupid reason, I personally like it. Don't know why, I know it is a distraction. Thanks for the critique Luko.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:07 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Luko: How does wide angle feel?

Darren, since you have one (28mm) you should try to use it more often, it'll make you think about new image opportunities. I also think that WA is great for self improving, because of the width and deep DOF, you have to control lots of things.

As for bokeh, try your 28mm lens at full aperture with the closest foreground as you can and see what it does. Not much like telezooms but very intersting for crowded areas. Of course, the wider, the better : f/2 is almost a must.

What I meant about the upper triangle is that it first takes too much space and unbalances IMHO the shot bit it seems the guy behind is going to hit his head with it. So with both its size and the fact it's providing another distracting focusing point (but a fake one, the guy is NOT going to bump into it... ) it doesn't let one eyes rest on the main subject, the LRBs...
Anyway, simply my POV...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for your reply Luko. Actually, your comment about bokeh put something into my mind. I am reminded of a photo I took a while ago using the 28mm. It is basically a macro of a flower, shot from just a few cms away. It is not an earth shattering shot or anything, but just being reminded of it, I decided to dig out my neg and scan it. Clearly, it is possible to get bokeh from a WA, should the conditions be right. WAs can also be very fun when it comes to creating wacky perspective distortion. It will be my first upload at treklens I think. Thanks Luko.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:40 PM
TE Expert

Good, good, Darren, I'm twice satisfied ;-D

First, I saw your shot in TrekLens, that was really worth posting it. For some stupid reasons (totally my fault) I cannot login there to post a comment but this is a very successful try.

Second, I think that you might give WA photo another try after that... why not have a go with human subjects now...