Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great UnTrained 2007-03-17 6:56

Ol Jos,
the view itself was already criticised by my in the first one. I focus on this version, hope you agree. I don't think that the sharpness is not sufficient (also in the large version), it is more (for me) the lack of contrast. It is just not easy to see differences in the upper part beside the window holes. Looking at the houses in the lower part, middle of the left half before the brighter ground (also on the right half) it is much more visible because of better contrast by different colours. A quick grey one of this showed me this more. Please remember, I praised the colour spots in the first version. For me it is the content here, which is for our eye not the challenge but for a camera. The quality you achieved couldn't be better in this technical environment. May be a better chance with HDR/DRI or what I think: morning or evening light.
Lieben Gruss, Ulf

Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
TE Expert

Default To UnTrained: Very insightful

Hallo Ulf,

Thank you for your critique. I appreciate it much, like very other you write.

Although I am not completely convinced, maybe you are right about the contrast being the issue here. My only doubt is that the shadows on the doors and windows are pretty dark. Risking to say something with not much sense, I'd say that some contrast is needed "only" on the brighter areas.

My limited knowledge on the technology and Optics doesn't enable me to understand these "strange sharpness" that I notice sometimes in my shots with harsh light conditions. I think I had no such problems with film, where I had only the variables "focus/dof", "steadiness", "exposure", "colour temperature" and sometimes "grain". With digital I have all of that, but sometimes I get photos where every of those variables are near perfect and the image is not so great. One recent example is that of the reflected oaks. Maybe I am wrong, but I sensed the same on your post of the Olympic Village of Munich.

I doubt that HDR would do much here, as the under exposed areas are small, dispersed and there is no great need to have detail on them. But, again, who am I do be arguing on this matter of which I am nearly a complete ignorant...

I agree with you that things would be much easier at another time of the day.

Have a nice weekend, my friend.

Lieben Gruss, Jos.