Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Manamo 2009-10-17 16:58

This is beautiful! really beautiful. I thought it was shot somewhere else, like Africa or south America. Forgive my lack of knowledge...
oh, you missed a splendid occasion of closing the aperture and going for a longer exposure...I don't care if you had a tripod or not. With such an occasion, you find tricks. you use your bag, coat...anything. You shot this at 6.3 so you could have had a longer exposure by many stops. anyway, just a thought...
I would have liked to see a wider view. Did you have a wider focal lenght avalaible?
I just found your gallery, I might write a couple of critiques if you don't mind.
Marc

Old 10-19-2009, 10:26 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Manamo: Thanks

Marc,

My sincerest thanks for you very insightful and constructive feedback on my image. I greatly appreciate your consideration!

I am very fortunate to live in a state with such spectacular natural treasures and gorgeous imagery. I took this image on a trek through the eastern fringes of the Grand Canyon, where I was fortunate enough to experience the thundering falls and brilliant turquoise waters of this stretch of the Colorado River. I was developing my novice eye and elementary skills taking pictures (I still am) when I ventured into the canyon and this magnificent vantage point allowed me to test the features of my camera and my artistic ability. I did not have the foresight to bring a tripod (and as I was humping all my camping equipment on my back, I elected to spare the weight) but I think you have a very valid point that in such a situation, ANYTHING could be used to steady the camera if it means you are able to get longer exposures. In retrospect, I wish I had simply removed a shoe or set my pack on the ground to substitute for a tripod and experiment with longer exposures: the added time would have done wonders for a shot!
As for the focal length, I agree that a wider view would also have been beneficial to impress upon the viewer the magnitude and awe-inspiring nature of the scene. I hope to experiment more with these technical approaches in the future!

I have just perused your gallery and I must say that you have an exceptional talent! I look forward to taking lessons and inspiration from your very well-seen and well-executed photos.

Thank you again for your helpful advice and polite criticism. Your critiques are always most welcomed.

Regards,

Brian
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Manamo: Thanks

good, 2-3 minutes to stop and take a picture that will last forever is always worth it...a least, I think so.
As for my gallery, I'm glad you like it, but I'm a novice like you. All I do is snapshots when I go abroad!
have a good one!
Marc