相片集

Photographer's Note

Believe it or not: This is a BMW!

Bayerische Motoren Werke AG was an aircraft engine producer before and during WW II: their emblem is meant to show a rotating propeller in the Bavarian white-blue colours. The company went into car production by taking over Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach A.G. in 1928.

After WW II, there was no more aircraft production, Eisenach was in the Soviet Zone of Occupation, the later GDR, and thus behind the iron curtain. BMW restarted the production of bikes and an additional luxury or at least upper class car, the BMW 501 six-cylinder and 502 V8-cylinder. There was a loss of 4000 DM per car as the costs were extremely high! With an Italian licence, the curious Isetta microcar was taken into their portfolio, a two-seater with a single door in the front, foldable roof as emergency exit, a front gauge of 1200 mm, a rear gauge of 520 mm (!!!) and a total length of 2285 mm. But this did not improve the financial situation, and in 1959 BMW was close to being taken over by Daimler-Benz.

BMW 600 was derived from Isetta and received the same front door, but a length of 2900 mm and similar front and rear gauges. There were four seats and a second door on the side to access the rear ones. The car had a good road holding, showed a fully synchronized gear and asymmetrical headlights which had not been available for the compact class before. With a price of 3985 DM, it cost about the same as was charged for a VW Beetle Standard which offered more room, so only 35.000 were sold from 1957 until 1959, which did not help yet to get BMW out of the mud.

Auto- und Uhrenwelt, Schramberg, Black Forest.

pajaran, ikeharel has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 2
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Sven Erich Czernik (Energysavingelk) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 528 W: 1 N: 2048] (7834)
  • Nordrhein-Westfalen photo
    #
  • Rheinland-Pfalz photo
    #
  • Nordrhein-Westfalen photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH