相片集

Photographer's Note

It is situated along Lake Ohrid, 29 km south of the city of Ohrid near the Albanian border. The monastery of St. Naum was built on a rock above the Lake, with a wonderful view of Lake Ohrid, of the town of Pogradec in Albania and of the surrounding mountains. The area around St. Naum's monastery is among the most beautiful along the shore of Lake Ohrid. The magnificent greenery, the two romantic little isles (one is covered with thick forest, with many birds nesting there, prohibited for visitors), surrounded by the Crn Drim river springs, the spacious sand beach, the monastery itself, and the panorama from the hill it is located on - all of these make it one of the most attractive spots on the lakes's shore. The original St. Naum's church was dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The church was built on this site in 900 A.D. as his memorial by the Slavonic educator St. Naum of Ohrid, the disciple of St. Cyril and St. Methodius, the contemporary and associate of St. Clement of Ohrid. St. Naum was also buried there in 910.

St. Naum's monastery of the Holy Archangels, together with St. Clement's monastery of St. Pantheleimon in Plaoshnik - Ohrid, are the earliest known Slavonic monuments of the ecclesiastic architecture in the region of Ohrid. It is triconchal (trefoil) in shape and belongs to the style of the medieval Slavonic architecture cherished during the period of the activities of St. Clement and St. Naum in the territory of Macedonia.

There are three written records on the life and work of St. Naum of Ohrid and his monastery. The author of the earliest record, called "The Life of Naum" was one of his contemporaries and disciples. A transcription of that record, publicized by Ivan and Nikola Milosevi from the region of Debar in the XV century, was found in 1906 at the Zograph Monastery on Mount Athos. The second Slavonic record on the life of Naum of Ohrid was saved in a XVI century anthology. The third record, written in Greek language, was left by Archbishop of Ohrid, Constantine Cavassila.

A series of new, previously unknown information, was found in the Chronicle of the monastery of St. Naum. The Chronicle, now kept in the Ohrid Historic Institute, dates back from the second half of the XIX century. Its author was a priest, Dimitria Petru, born in Ohrid. The Chronicle contains numerous interesting information on St. Naum monastery's priors, construction, and estates. For example, Dimitria Petru in his Chronicle writes that in 1846 Prior Seraphim I intended to tear down Naum's church and replace it with a larger, chiseled stone shrine. Due to the unknown reasons, yet fortunately, he gave up his intention to build a new church. The Chronicle also writes about a disastrous fire that nearly burned to the ground the largest part of the monastery's compound during the night between 2 and 3 February 1875.

In the course of the post World War II investigations, in 1955 Prof. Dimce Koco discovered remnants of the original church built during St. Naum's time. Thus finally the mystery of Naum's monastery was unveiled. The original church was demolished during the Turkish period. The excavations revealed many new pieces of information about the reconstructions of the church over time. It was found out that the changes in the past were of such nature that the shape of the original Naum's monastery was completely changed.

After the archaeological excavation and conservation was finished, the remainders of the original church were covered by earth again. Above them a new floor was made, with the ruins of the original church delineated by black and white marble. That way the visitors are given the opportunity to somehow perceive the former shape of that monument, one of the earliest in the Slavonic architecture.

Archaeological excavations and surveys of St. Naum's monastery revealed that the present church was built on the foundations of the original church in the period between the XVI and XVII centuries. The present church was reconstructed and enlarged several times. Thus, towards the end of the XVII century, Naum's church was renovated by the construction of a dome above the temple's narthex. The dome must have been built earlier, otherwise the iconostasis could not have been mounted in 1711, since it was higher than the old vault. In the second half of the XVIII century, a dome was built above the parvis of Naum's church. The most recent significant renovation was carried out at the end of the XVIII century, i.e., in 1799, when a tomb parakklis was built.

siamesa, savina has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 4364
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Slavko Novjanovski (liquid_sk) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Silver Note Writer [C: 55 W: 26 N: 49] (296)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH